Sweet-Potato Walnut Brownies
I am a girl who loves good brownies. We’re talking chocolaty, slightly chewy, thick, and moist (sorry for those of you who hate that word!). Brownies, in my opinion, should not be hard to make and everyone should have a great go-to recipe for those impromptu parties. This recipe is all that for me. It is my personal indulgence, and the one I whip up when we’re having friends over because, lets be honest, who doesn’t like brownies?
These brownies are a healthy, gluten-free and naturally-sweetened take on the classic chocolate brownie. As sad as it is when I can’t eat most popular desserts – like cookies, cakes, or brownies, this restriction has challenged me to make delicious, gluten free versions of these foods myself. In addition to this, I personally do not enjoy spending hours and hours on desserts in addition to a normal meal. Thus this recipe does not have obscure ingredients and is quick and easy to whip up.
Finally, this sweet-potato walnut brownie recipe that I am sharing with you is tried and true. I’ve share them with so many people and everyone really enjoys them. Sure, there’s a sweet potato in there, but most people wouldn’t know unless you tell them. This starchy vegetable makes the brownies extra gooey and gives them a unique earthy flavor.
Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think!
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Prick your sweet potato a few times on each side with a fork. Wrap in a paper towel and microwave on high for about 6 minutes (flipping halfway through) or until soft, tender, and beginning to fall apart.
- Peel the skin off your sweet potato and add to food processor with the dates and blend until combined, scraping sides as needed.
- In a large bowl, mix oat flour, cacao powder, coconut oil, egg, honey, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt. Once combined, add in the sweet potato-date mixture and chopped walnuts.
- Grease a baking dish and speed the brownie mixture into it. Cook for about 40 minutes or until you can stick a fork in the brownie and bring it out dry. Remove from oven and allow it to cool for about 10 minutes before slicing.
- Serve warm or room-temperature with ice-cream, yogurt, or by itself! Store in airtight container for up to 4 days or in the freezer for a month.