Sweet Potato-Almond Butter Smoothie
Sweet potatoes are loaded with complex carbs (those are good I promise), dietary fiber, vitamin B, and beta-carotene. They are extremely versatile - one of those special foods that can be eaten as a sweet or savory ingredient in dishes. And finally… the texture. I can’t get over the texture of sweet potatoes. They are so smooth and almost creamy- which makes them amazing in smoothies.
Anyways, who says smoothies can only have fruit?
This smoothie is incredible. I can’t believe it has taken me 21 years to think of this. It is so rich, so full of color, and so full of flavor. The warm flavors from the cinnamon, almond butter, and nutmeg pair so perfectly with the sweet potato. It is naturally sweet, and you get a couple solid servings of veggies in this smoothie. Call me crazy, but I am obsessed with this dink.
Be brave. Give it a try. And let me know what you think!
- 1 small sweet potato (cooked, chopped, and frozen)*
- 1 banana (frozen if possible)**
- 1 cup cauliflower (frozen if possible)***
- 1 Tbsp. almond butter (I like this brand)
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp. nutmeg
- ¾ cup almond milk (or other plant-based milk)
- chia seed, hemp seed, sliced almonds or seeds of choice (these fun toppings can all be found at Trader Joe's)
- Place all ingredients in blender****. Blend on high until smooth and creamy, scraping the edges halfway through to ensure evenness.*****
- Pour into cup, sprinkle with toppings if desired and serve immediately.
**Simply freeze peeled, ripe bananas in chunks for a few hours or overnight in a large ziplock.
***Cauliflower is super neutral in flavor when frozen. It adds an awesome texture and volume to smoothies along with an abundance of nutrients- as mentioned above. You can buy frozen cauliflower super cheep in bulk at Wegmans.
****If you plan on making smoothies frequently, I definitely suggest investing in a good blender. (I went throw 3 cheep blenders over the course of one semester in college. no joke). I love my vitamix - probably one of the best Christmas gifts I’ve ever received. It literally holds up anything. You can buy them certified refurbished which helps cut the cost and still gives you a great product.
*****Depending on the size of your banana and sweet potato or the strength of your blender you may need to add more milk or scrape more frequently.