Purple Yam & Coconut Smoothie Bowl
About a month ago, I was walking around Whole Foods and came across a sign that said: “Purple Yams”. It was basically my love for sweet potatoes and beautiful colors all in one. I was immediately in love. I proceeded to make purple mashed potatoes and purple sweet potato fries, but my adventures with this new discovery wouldn’t have been complete without giving a purple sweet potato smoothie a try.
The result? A creamy, bright purple, and naturally sweetened smoothie. Of course this recipe could be made with regular sweet potato, but the color of purple yams is worth the extra couple cents per pound. For those of you watching my Instagram (The Local Sprout - @thelocalsprout) stories, you will see that these smoothie bowls have become a regular for me.
The visual astatic of this smoothie is sure to win you all over to the sweet-potato smoothie world. It is a great way to get extra vegetables into your diet and a perfect way to kick off the new year!
This smoothie bowl has become one of my go-tos.
- 1 small, purple yam, steamed and frozen
- ½ cup frozen coconut meat (you can find this in the frozen fruit section of Trader Joes, Whole Foods or Wegmans)
- 1 cup frozen cauliflower*
- 2 Tbsp. raw cashews**
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup nut milk
- 1 tsp natural sweetener (optional)
- Toppings (optional):
- chia seed, hemp seed,flaked coconut, cacao nibs, chopped nuts or seeds of choice
- Place all ingredients in blender*. Blend on high until smooth and creamy, scraping the edges halfway through to ensure evenness.**
- Pour into cup, sprinkle with toppings if desired and serve immediately.
**Depending on the size of your sweet potato or the strength of your blender you may need to add more milk or scrape more frequently