Rainbow Hummus Salad Bowl
First off is the hummus. Nothing beats homemade hummus, and if you haven’t tried it before, be prepared to never go back to the store stuff. After discovering this (literally 5-minute) way to whip stuff up, I cannot stop sharing it with others. Did I mention that it is easy? Yep. The chickpeas cook right in the microwave with their own juice while soaking up all the beautiful flavors from the onion and garlic. Once its done there, just throw it in the blender and bam. You’ve made the best hummus ever. This recipe makes a super garlicky, creamy, and versatile hummus - you’re sure to wow yourself and all your friends.
Second, the dressing here is a go-to for me. I find that it tastes great over romaine, kale, spinach, etc. It pairs well with a salad loaded with tomatoes and cheese, it also pairs well with a salad loaded with beets, olives and peppers. Theres no weird ingredients here and I’m sure it’ll become a go-to for you as well.
Finally, this Rainbow Hummus Salad Bowl is an experience. Eat is as a salad with the hummus stirred in or with just the veggies and lettuce, drizzled with the lemon dressing. Or eat it as a dip, picking up the sliced veggies and dipping them in the creamy hummus. I find that this makes a beautiful party platter - and there is certainly something in it to please everyone.
As always, I am excited to share this dish with you all and cannot wait to hear feedback after you give it a try!
- 1 can chickpeas, undrained
- ¼ medium-sized yellow onion
- 4 large garlic cloves
- ½ cup tahini
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp sea salt
- pinch black pepper
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice.
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- pinch black pepper
- 1 head lettuce (I used Batavia lettuce which has purple and green leaves)
- 2 large beets, roasted*** and diced
- 1 cup fresh green beans
- 3 bell peppers, sliced (choose different colors for variety)
- 3 large carrots, sliced in half and then quartered lengthwise (choose different colors for variety)
- ⅓ cup kalamata olives, pitted
- “Everything But The Bagel” seasoning from Trader Joes, lemon wedges (for squeezing over veggies), sesame seeds
- Microwave chickpeas with the liquid from the can, garlic cloves and onion in a large bowl for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the mixture to a blender with tahini, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Scrap hummus from blender into airtight container and store in refrigerator until ready to use. Will keep for up to a week in airtight container.
- Place all ingredients in blender and blend until entirely combined.
- Store in refrigerator in airtight container (I use little mason jars) until ready to serve.
- In a shallow bowl, spread desired amount of hummus across the edge of half the dish (I suggest ½-2/3 cup).
- Place a layer of large lettuce leaves over the hummus, leaving some to show on the edge (refer to picture or plate it your own way!)
- Assemble remainder of veggies and olives over lettuce with optional toppings.
- Serve immediately with dressing on the side.
- Salad will keep in fridge for a couple days, though it is by far the best eaten the day it is made.
**Feel free to also make this dressing in advance. It keeps in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to two weeks and also pairs nicely with a variety of salads. Simply pull out when ready to serve.
***Beets are easy to roast, but they do take some time in the oven. A great solution for this is to roast the beets in advance a refrigerate until ready to use. If its your first time roasting beets, this is a great guide to roasting beets.
<h2>The Local Sprout Food Blog</h2>