Warming Protein Pancakes
After discovering this recipe a few months ago, my life has changed. These are not only delicious and gluten free, but they are quick to make, and loaded with protein!
Give these pancakes a try and let me know what you think!
- Place oats, buckwheat groats, chia seeds, and help seeds in a high-speed blender (I love my vitamix). Pour in the boiling water. Put the lid back on the blender and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Set a medium pan over low heat.
- After 5 minutes, add the applesauce, baking powder, vanilla, sea salt, cinnamon and maple syrup to the blender. Blend on high until you have a relatively smooth, thick batter. You’ll see little flakes of chia—no worries, this is fine.
- Lightly oil the pan and pour in ¼ of the pancake batter. Spread the batter to form a circle with a spatula. Let the pancake cook for a good two minutes on one side, or until the edges of the pancake are dry and the underside is browned.*** Carefully flip the pancake over and cook for another minute. Repeat this process for the other three pancakes.
- Serve the pancakes with fresh fruit, nut or seed butter, and maple syrup or honey.
**Another great source of pant-based protein. You can leave this ingredient out if you don't have these on hand, but I definitely recommend getting a bag. Hemp seeds are amazing and a big bag will last you forever.
***The key here is to keep the pan temperature medium-low to ensure that the pancake cooks all the way through, so don’t rush it.