The intriguing part - acai, by itself is very tart and stains your fingers when you pull it out of the package. Compared to other berries, it is not sweet enough to eat alone (for most people). So why the hype? The health benfits and versitily of flavors that can be added to it. I personally love acai because I love the slightly bitter flavor and how refreshed it makes me feel after eating it.
I picked up a small box with 4 acai packets at Trader Joes the other week. Since then, I have perfected a fun, slightly tart, slightly sweet smoothie bowl which has similar flavor notes to the beloved cannoli. It is loaded with healthy fats and protein - sure to give you lots of energy to get you through your day.
Give this acai bowl a try and let me know what you think!
- 1 acai packet
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup frozen coconut meat
- 1/4 cup frozen cauliflower (a couple big florets)
- 1 Tbsp maca powder
- 1 medjooll date
- 1/2 tsp cacao powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cashew milk
- toppings (optional):
- chia seeds, cacao powder, dried coconut flakes
- Place all ingredients in blender*. Blend on high until smooth and creamy, scraping the edges halfway through to ensure evenness.**
- Pour into cup, sprinkle with toppings if desired and serve immediately.
**Depending on the size of your sweet potato or the strength of your blender you may need to add more milk or scrape more frequently